Land Use Planning
Land Use Planning: Draft Mission – To protect Ontario’s ecological integrity while pursuing sustainable development where we live, work, and harvest.
To join this committee, please write us via oen at oen.ca.
POST OPEN FOR COMMENTS WITH SOONEST DEADLINE FIRST
ITEM WITH CLOSED COMMENT PERIOD
3. Proposed Amendment 1 to A Place to Grow: the Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe
- See the posting on the Environmental Registry of Ontario at https://ero.ontario.ca/notice/019-1680.
- Comments due July 31.
- As this in an emerging issue and as this committee is being formed, we don’t have a comments of our own, we refer you to two items of interest:
- For a good backgrounder, see Ontario Nature’s blog post at https://ontarionature.org/growth-at-all-costs/; and,
- Consider signing on to the submission from CELA, ON, and Environmental Defense, found here.
- To have your organization support the sub, send an e-mail to email@example.com. Please provide the organization name, your name, and your position in the group.
2. Updating Ontario’s Water Quantity Management Framework
- See the posting on the Environmental Registry of Ontario at https://ero.ontario.ca/notice/019-1340
- Comments due August 2.
- As this committee is being formed, we don’t have a comments for the consideration of our members but we recommend you consider the comments at SAVEOURWATER.CA.
1. Bill 197: COVID-19 Economic Recovery Act, 2020
- See this bill at https://www.ola.org/sites/default/files/node-files/bill/document/pdf/2020/2020-07/b197_e.pdf
- Another Omnibus bill, this one amends 20 acts, including the Environmental Assessment Act.
- The bill empowers development to make it faster and cheaper while the only thing it does to enhance environmental protection is to say that that is what it does.
- Worse, it excludes itself from public consultation, presenting a REAL threat to democracy.
- In fact, it was passed
- This was exactly the concern of many organizations when the government abolished the independence of the Environmental Commissioner.
- See a devastating analysis by Ecojustice and a letter several major NGOs at https://ecojustice.ca/ontario-proposes-sweeping-changes-to-environmental-assessment/
- As this committee is being formed, we don’t have a comments for the consideration of our members but we recommend you consider the efforts of Environmental Defence Canada, at https://act.environmentaldefence.ca/page/64386/action/1?ea.tracking.id=action&fbclid=IwAR1Auvgj4wfruoNBnKcUK0Arf8pExGb4VMji92YR6G3aJW-IFhQhoXuEil8
- While the bill was passed on July 21 with no public consultation and no discussion at standing committee, the following regs are open for consultation:
- Environmental exemptions for mining; Due August 22
- Exempting certain actions in parks and conservation areas; Due August 22
- Streamlined EA for GTA West – Highway 413; Due August 22
- Streamlined EA for Bradford Bypass. Due August 22